Photo dated 10 August 1930. It was taken when Vinçenc Prennushi was Minister Provincial of the Order of Friars Minor. He received the Decoration of Merit from Austria and initials of Francesco Giuseppe also appear there.

Photos taken on the day of his episcopal consecration (19 March 1936) where he is with other consecrated bishops. In particular, on the right of the second row we can see Msgr. Frano Gjini who is another martyr included in the list of 38 beatified and was shot on 11 March 1948.

Photo dated 12 September 1938 when Vinçenc Prennushi was already ordained bishop for two years, while he was in charge of the diocese of Sappa and would remain for another two years, until 1940.

Photo dated 2 April 1936 taken when he was consecrated bishop. Probably, referring to the change of official dress, these photos should have been used by particular parish communities to display the bishop’s photo in the sacristy.

Vinçenc Prennushi

Friar Minor trained in Shkoder and Salzburg, he was Provincial Minister, Bishop of Sappa (1936-1940), Archbishop of Durres (1940-1949) and Apostolic Administrator of Southern Albania (from 1943). Rich in human and spiritual gifts, Vinçenc was known as “one of the best known and most worthy among Albanian writers”. He predicted what the future of Albania and the Church could be when the Communist regime came; in fact, in the spring of 1945, he was proposed to make the Albanian Catholic Church autocephalous, but he opposed it. While wise and prudent, he joined the Anti-Communist Resistance Group. It was a spontaneous group whose members hoped to fight against Communism acting as an internal resistance force that could have been supported by the attempts of the West in order to destabilise the Albanian Communist Party. These attempts were made when Monsignor Vinçenc Prennushi was alive. They continued even a little bit later but failed afterwards. More than 300 people were killed among all those Americans and British who were sent to Albania to destabilise Enver Hoxha’s regime. On 19 May 1947, he was arrested and locked up in the Durres prison, where he suffered debilitating interrogations and horrible tortures. He was accused of agitation and propaganda against the regime, of promising help to the “reactionaries”. He was declared “enemy of the people” and sentenced to 20 years in prison. Here they forced him to carry a “wheelbarrow” of garbage and wooden trunks uphill, under whose weight he fell; they tied his hands and legs and hung him with a rope in a bathroom until he passed out. He was also subjected to the torture of dripping water; he was locked in an iron cage with sharp nails inside and they rolled it almost every day for weeks. He died on 19 March 1949 and was buried in the cathedral. In 1970, when the cathedral was transformed into a puppet theatre, his body was brought to the city cemetery; until 1993 when he was brought back to the cathedral and beatified on 5 November 2016.