Saints Cyril and Methodius Cathedral.

Representatives of the Czech Orthodox Church in Petschkov Palace on 3 September 1942. From right: Bishop Gorazd, chaplain Vladimír Petřek, pastor Václav Čikl and chairman of the Council of Elders of the Saints Cyril and Methodius Cathedral Jan Sonnevend.

The memorial plaque is located on the building of the Pankrác Prison in Prague.

Gorazd II

Gorazd II, born on 26 May 1879 in Hrubá Vrbka as Matej Pavlik.

He was born into a peasant family as the middle of three sons to parents Jan Pavlík and Anna, née Bělčíková. After primary school, he studied at the Catholic archbishop's boarding school and at the state grammar school in Kroměříž. In the years 1898–1902 he attended the Faculty of Theology in Olomouc. In 1900 he visited Kiev, where he became acquainted with Orthodoxy. On 5 July 1902, he was ordained and worked as a pastor in various places. From 1906 to 1920 he worked as a confessor at a psychiatric hospital in Kroměříž. During the First World War, when his conflicts with the church hierarchy deepened, he published the magazine “Právo národa” (law of the nation). After the war, he joined the new Czechoslovak Church and advocated an inclination towards Orthodoxy. On 25 September 1921, he was appointed bishop of Olomouc under the name Gorazd. He left the Czechoslovak Church in 1924 and started to support the Czech Orthodox Religious Community in Prague. In November 1925, he was elected its spiritual administrator. In 1929, he was involved in the founding of autonomous Orthodox eparchy for the Czech Lands under Serbian jurisdiction. He advocated the establishment of a number of temples, devoted himself to the liturgy and church history research. During the Nazi occupation, he sought to protect the church and rejected the protectorate government's decision to transfer it to the jurisdiction of Archbishop Serafim of Berlin. On 25 June 1942, he was arrested by the Gestapo in connection with the case of seven Czechoslovak paratroopers (including Jan Kubiš and Josef Gabčík, the attackers against Reinhard Heydrich) that were hiding in the church of Saints Cyril and Methodius Cathedral in Prague. On 3 September 1942, he and three other Orthodox believers were sentenced to death and the next day he was killed. His remains were burned. On 5 September 1987, he was declared a saint by the Orthodox Church.